Monday 15 June 2009

Over to Herm and Sark

Just when I thought my trip to Guernsey couldn't get any better I took the ferry over to the small islands of Herm and Sark.

Herm is a tiny island a half hours ferry trip away and what a super island it is. There are no cars only the odd tractor going about it's daily business. It is easy get around and incredibly peaceful.
I liberally applied sun lotion as I had heard stories of people really getting badly burnt on the island and I have had a taste of that the last time i visited the Channel Islands. Our morning was spent sketching in the quiet bay at Belvoir then back to Lesley, who lives on the island , for afternoon tea and homemade cake...my favourite ! Time for a lightening sketch before the ferry back.

Next day we were off to the larger island of Sark. We hired pushbikes for the day to get us across the island to the causeway of La Coupee. I have seen many images of this spot and when we got there it did not dissapoint ! We set up on a bluff overlooking the track and this pic is of that view. Just as i finished my sketch a strong gust of wind blew my easel over and my board and brushes took a tumble over the side ! As luck would have it the only got as far as the track so all was not lost. Back on the bikes to the tearooms at La Sablonniere, a quick sketch and then steady pedal back for the ferry.

Two remarkable islands, well worth the visit .

1 comment:

  1. Hi Barry, I saw a Martin Clunes prog on tv about Sark recently. Apparently, being a feudal state, a man can choose to beat the 'good woman' with a stick, not thicker than his little finger, on Sark - legally! Of course, it never said how thick the stick was she could use in retaliation! (ha ha)
    Anyhow, what can I say, but, another Herniman masterpiece. Cotinued use of vivid colours in a strong palette and a sound eye for composition never fail to please the onlooker. Nice one, Barry!
    I look forward to seeing the sketchbook when you're next up north.
    All I need to do now is convince the 'good woman' that she needs a visit, to take in the sunshine and elegant beauty of Sark! Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete